BREEAM / L.E.E.D. Information
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING WITH DORTEK
BREEAM /L.E.E.D. Information
BREEAM is the world’s foremost environmental assessment method and rating system for buildings, with 200,000 buildings with certified BREEAM assessment ratings and over a million registered for assessment since it was first launched in 1990.
BREEAM sets the standard for best practice in sustainable building design, construction and operation and has become one of the most comprehensive and widely recognised measures of a building’s environmental performance.
A BREEAM assessment uses recognised measures of performance, which are set against established benchmarks, to evaluate a building’s specification, design, construction and use. The measures used represent a broad range of categories and criteria from energy to ecology. They include aspects related to energy and water use, the internal environment (health and well-being), pollution, transport, materials, waste, ecology and management processes.
Sustainable Building Information
Going GREEN with Dortek
What does it mean to Go Green with Dortek? Dortek’s’ products can potentially contribute to BREEAM/ LEED points in New Construction or Refurbishment categories for example.
ENERGY & ATMOSPHERE
1. Minimum Energy Performance
2. Mat 6 Dortek’s doors can be fitted with effective sealing including in the leading and back edge, drop down , threshold seals etc . Our MF5 door is full hermetic sealing up to 99.9% air sealing. These seals contribute to energy saving and can reduce air handling system costs and reduce heatloss. Our Thermally Efficient K and F door cores have K factors of 0.026 and 0.063 respectively.
MATERIALS & RESOURCES
1. Recycled Content – Dortek uses glass fibre, high performance insulants, resins, stainless steel and aluminum that is 100% recyclable. Where possible we will use recycled materials in our manufacture. This is currently at 3% of our products and we have an ongoing programme to increase this.
2. Regional Materials – Depending on Project Location 90% of Dortek’s Supplier Base is located within 700km of our manufacturing facilities. More than 50% is located within 300km.
3. Mat 5 Dortek uses no wood products in our range of doors.
INDOOR ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
1. HEA 9: Low-Emitting materials – Dortek’s doors are manufactured using inert materials ODP, non GWP, and VOC exempt blowing agent. Zero Ozone depletion potential. Zero Global Warming potential. Exempt from volatile organic compounds. Dortek uses zero emitting sealants and adhesives in our manufacturing process. Dortek do not paint doors the color built into the door ensuring zero VOC emissions.
2. HEA 13: Dortek can supply doors are which are acoustically tested up to 55db
3. Man 11: There is no ongoing maintenance to Dortek doors due to its robust design. Because the color an integral part of the door & s means any scratches on the door will not be noticed as the same color is throughout the thickness of the door. The color will not fade over time as the pigment is colorfast. As the door is made from GRP any marking can easily be cleaned form the door
4. Man 12: Dortek doors have very low lifecycle cost as they generally last 15 years, with many doors still in operation after 30 years. Dortek doors require minimal maintenance.
Specific to Manufacturing:
- All our scrap metal and aluminum is recycled via specialist dedicated recycling facilities located near our factories.
- All our paper and cardboard are recycled.
- All space heaters at Dortek are programmable with automatic off/on timers.
- All our waste fibre glass is recycled through a dedicated specialist recycler and is used in various new products in the construction sector.
- We have incorporated a LEAN program and continuous improvement initiatives throughout the manufacturing facilities.
- We have an ongoing programme of energy reduction at our factories which is delivering annual savings.
- As part of an SEI (sustainable energy Ireland) initiative our manufacturing facility successfully implemented recommendations of outside environmental consultants such as heat capture & recycling, automated control of heating systems, installed new double glazed windows.